Communication and Media Studies MA Master's
This is for you
if you have strong communication skills in multiple languages, interested in intercultural communication and wish to understand the complexity of new media tools and digital technologies.
"Budapest Metropolitan University, a place where you learn about the world, while experiencing it as well. A multi-dimensional, multi-cultural institution that allows one to grow and achieve so much more than one could’ve hoped and dreamed. METU, the world held within the world."
- Zeeshan Masood from Pakistan
For a successful professional it is an essential tool to have strong communication skills, for a successful professional in the media sciences this is fundamental. The Communication and Media Studies master’s program offers theoretical knowledge with a strong focus on practical and professional skills and competences. Complying with current social and labor market demands, the course integrates the fields of communication theory, media studies, social sciences, political science, sociology, psychology and cultural studies within the field of social sciences offering knowledge of high standard, which can be put to a profitable and practical use in various areas.
The communication master course offers theoretical knowledge with a strong focus on practical and professional skills and competences. In order to achieve that objective:
- The educational program of the course is strongly media-oriented which is based on a thorough grounding in social and behavioral sciences;
- Complying with current social and labor market demands, the course integrates the fields of communication theory, media studies, social sciences, political science, sociology, psychology and cultural studies within the field of social sciences offering knowledge of high standard, which can be put to a profitable and practical use in various areas;
- The course is planned to include one optional module: International Communication.
Structure of the program
During the two academic years, you will learn about social history, representation theories, anthropology of communication, new media theories, visual culture, media regulation theories, and the epistemological foundations of communication, and you will deepen your skills in communication and media research.
During the second part of your studies, you will focus on international communication-related subjects.
We wish to provide the training of professionals who are able to perform entrepreneurial, networking and managerial tasks based on their comprehensive knowledge and skills gained in the area of mass communication and intercultural communication in addition to their excellent command of two foreign languages used for specific professional purposes.
Graduates may find employment in a wide range of areas within the field of media and culture including mass communication, traditional and electronic media, educational and cultural institutions, publishing houses and non-profit organizations. They may pursue their future career in the distribution networks of cultural products, at convention and event organizing enterprises or local political organizations as well as other regional bodies interested in social communication.
- New Media Theory
- Theories and Social Functions of Media
- Anthropology of Communication
- Visual Culture
- Representation Theory
- Effect Mechanisms of Interpersonal Communication
- Media Representation Theory
- Theories of Identity and Otherness
- Media and Cultural Studies
- International Political and Organizational Communication
- Foreign Language Communication Techniques
Our Success Stories
- Regular participation in the Prague MediaPoint Conference with students
- ThreeMedia Tournament: last year our student team won the competition in Prague.
- Regular participation in the South-East European Media Forum with students.