While studying in Hungary, it is highly recommended to have a valid health insurance all the time for two reasons: It is required by the Hungarian National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (the „Immigration Office”) when you want to obtain or renew your residence permit; and otherwise you may have to spend thousands of Euros on medical treatment. Therefore we strongly encourage our students to sign up for the ’Study Top’ health insurance plan provided by Medicover.
The price of this insurance is 150 EUR / 48500 HUF for one insurance period.
(Insurance periods: 1st February – 31st July; 1st August – 31st January)
- 3 well equipped, modern clinics in Budapest
- English speaking doctors and staff
- 24/7 medical hotline
- Treatment organization & medical consultancy
! PLEASE ALWAYS BOOK AN APPOINTMENT VIA MEDICOVER BEFORE YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR !
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
How can I book an appointment?
- Make an appointment via the CallCenter:
Between Monday and Friday from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. you can call the following number:
In other time periods you can call the Emergency Hotline: 00361-465-31-01
- Tell the phone operator your 6-digit Medicover ID number found on your plastic Medicover card (if you don’t have your card yet, please read paragraph IV.)) and explain what the problem is
- Medicover will let you know the location and the time of the treatment based on your symptoms and needs
- Attend the place of treatment at the appointed time arranged by Medicover (in urgent cases within 48 hours)
- Identification by ID card / passport at the Medicover premises
- Medical attendance
What is included/ NOT included in my Medicover insurance?
Included (not complete list):
- Full range of out-patient treatments (e.g.: internal medicine, optometry, otolaryngology, dermatology, neurology, cardiology, orthopedics, gynecology, urology, etc.)
- Wide range of laboratory tests (e.g.: blood test, urine test, serology, hormone test, etc.)
- Diagnostic tests (e.g., ECG, ultrasound, X-Ray, mammography, hearing test, dermatoscopy, birthmark-check, bone density test, eyesight test, allergy test, cancer test, MRI, CT, PET, etc.)
- Outpatient surgery (If Medically supported and medically justified cases)
- In-patient care (Max. 30 hospital days per period, standard level)
- Acute dental care (Max. 60.000 HUF / period and max. 40.000 HUF / tooth)
- Medicines (prescribed by Medicover; Max 150.000 HUF / period and max 50.000 HUF / month)
Not included (not complete list) :
- Medical examinations for driver’s license
- Check-up without any specific medical problems
- Dental treatment for aesthetic purposes
- Reimbursement of vitamins and food supplements
You can find the full List of Benefits with the complete details of what is included in your package as a downloadable document at the bottom of this page.
Dental treatment and price of medicines are covered by my insurance, why do I have to pay for them anyway?
These two medical fields are dealt with by a reimbursement system (these two only, you don’t have to pay for any other type of treatment covered by your insurance).
- Dental treatment: Bring the medical document(s) and the proof of payment to the International Front Office (main campus, office F110) and they will guide you.
- Medicines: When you buy the medicines, be sure to ask for a „SZÁMLA” (invoice) at the pharmacy. You will need to bring this and the medical document(s) to the International Front Office (main campus, office F110) and they will guide you.
I haven’t received my plastic Medicover card yet (or lost my card). When will I receive it? How can I book an appointment until then?
Don’t worry, you can always book an appointment by indicating your name and your date of birth to Medicover’s phone operator. Once your card is ready, you will be informed in e-mail and you will be able to pick it up at the International Front Office (main campus, office F110).
I have an emergency and I cannot wait until I get an appointment. What should I do?
You will need to call the ambulance: 104 or 112. Please keep in mind that in this case you will be taken to the appropriate state hospital, as Medicover is not prepared for serious or emergency cases.
If you have to call an ambulance be sure to notify Medicover about your situation as soon as possible!
You will be treated at the hospital and you will be billed as well. You will need to settle the fees and bring every medical document and every proof of payment to the International Front Office (main campus, office F110)
Can I cancel Medicover? I am dissatisfied with them / I obtained a Social Security Card (TAJ Card) / I have my own health insurance.
You may quit Medicover any time, but you will need to present your own valid health insurance before doing so! Also please keep in mind that once you quit this insurance package, you will not be able to rejoin later.
Private insurances must fulfill two conditions: They must be valid within Hungary and they have to cover you for at least 30.000 EUR. With these private insurances and TAJ Cards you will be eligible to attend state funded hospital which usually offer lower quality services than Medicover.