While studying in Hungary, it is highly recommended to have a valid health insurance all the time for two reasons: It is required by the Hungarian National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (the „Immigration Office”) when you want to obtain or renew your residence permit; and otherwise you may have to spend thousands of Euros on medical treatment. Therefore we strongly encourage our students to sign up for the ’Study Top’ health insurance plan provided by Medicover.
The price of this insurance is 150 EUR for one insurance period.
(Insurance periods: 1st February – 31st July; 1st August – 31st January)
- 3 well equipped, modern clinics in Budapest
- English speaking doctors and staff
- 24/7 medical hotline
- Treatment organization & medical consultancy
! PLEASE ALWAYS BOOK AN APPOINTMENT VIA MEDICOVER BEFORE YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR !
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
How can I book an appointment?
- Make an appointment via the CallCenter:
Between Monday and Friday from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. you can call the following number:
In other time periods you can call the Emergency Hotline: 00361-465-31-01
- Tell the phone operator your 6-digit Medicover ID number (you can contact the Student Information Centre to get it) and explain what the problem is
- Medicover will let you know the location and the time of the treatment based on your symptoms and needs
- Attend the place of treatment at the appointed time arranged by Medicover (in urgent cases within 48 hours)
- Identification by ID number / passport at the Medicover premises
- Medical attendance
What is included/ NOT included in my Medicover insurance?
Included (not complete list):
- Full range of out-patient treatments (e.g.: internal medicine, optometry, otolaryngology, dermatology, neurology, cardiology, orthopedics, gynecology, urology, etc.)
- Wide range of laboratory tests (e.g.: blood test, urine test, serology, hormone test, etc.)
- Diagnostic tests (e.g., ECG, ultrasound, X-Ray, mammography, hearing test, dermatoscopy, birthmark-check, bone density test, eyesight test, allergy test, cancer test, MRI, CT, PET, etc.)
- Outpatient surgery (If Medically supported and medically justified cases)
- In-patient care (Max. 30 hospital days per period, standard level)
- Acute dental care (Max. 60.000 HUF / period and max. 40.000 HUF / tooth)
- Medicines (prescribed by Medicover; Max 150.000 HUF / period and max 50.000 HUF / month)
Not included (not complete list) :
- Medical examinations for driver’s license
- Check-up without any specific medical problems
- Dental treatment for aesthetic purposes
- Reimbursement of vitamins and food supplements
You can find the full List of Benefits with the complete details of what is included in your package as a downloadable document at the bottom of this page.
Dental treatment and price of medicines are covered by my insurance, why do I have to pay for them anyway?
These two medical fields are dealt with by a reimbursement system (these two only, you don’t have to pay for any other type of treatment covered by your insurance).
Dental treatment: Contact SIC at https://www.metubudapest.hu/ask-sic and we will send you the Fee Reclaim form which you need to send to Medicover together with the originalInvoice and the copy of all medical documentation to the following address: 1134. Budapest, Váci út 29-31.
Medicines: When you buy the medicines, be sure to ask for a „SZÁMLA” (invoice) at the pharmacy with your name on it.
Contact SIC at https://www.metubudapest.hu/ask-sic and we will send you the Fee Reclaim form which you need to send to Medicover together with the originalInvoice and the copy of all medical documentation to the following address: 1134. Budapest, Váci út 29-31.
I have an emergency and I cannot wait until I get an appointment. What should I do?
You will need to call the ambulance: 104 or 112. Please keep in mind that in this case you will be taken to the appropriate state hospital, as Medicover is not prepared for serious or emergency cases.
If you have to call an ambulance be sure to notify Medicover about your situation as soon as possible!
You will be treated at the hospital and you will be billed as well. You will need to settle the fees and contact the SIC at https://www.metubudapest.hu/ask-sic and we will send you the Fee Reclaim form which you need to send to Medicover together with the original Invoice and the copy of all medical documentation to the following address: 1134. Budapest, Váci út 29-31.
Can I cancel Medicover? I am dissatisfied with them / I obtained a Social Security Card (TAJ Card) / I have my own health insurance.
You may quit Medicover any time, but you will need to arrange your own valid health insurance before doing so! Also please keep in mind that once you change for another insurance, you will not be able to re-join later. To cancel your Medicover insurance you need to submit the Medicover Health Insurance related request form available in the Neptun under Administration/Requests.
Private insurances must fulfil two conditions: They must be valid within Hungary and they have to cover you for at least 30.000 EUR. With these private insurances and TAJ Card you will be eligible to attend state funded hospital which usually offer lower quality services than Medicover.