Film and Media Studies BA Bachelor's
This is for you
if you are interested in the film and media, your way of thinking is creative and original, and you would like to develop your skills on a high level.
"The degree is only a paper. Developing my skills is what's truly valuable for me at METU."
Jay from India
The Film and Media Studies BA program provides comprehensive theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of motion pictures and media within an international and multicultural atmosphere. During our BA program, students will gain a general insight into the history of motion pictures and film theory studies, along with intensive experience through practical courses in various filmmaking fields such as directing, scriptwriting, cinematography, editing, sound, and production management. In addition to theoretical and practical opportunities, our department offers professional studios equipped with high-quality equipment and post-production software to assist students in their improvements. The language of the courses is English.
By the end of the program, you will have a secure theoretical and practical knowledge of filmmaking and visual communication, enabling you to create independent films and media productions. Due to the extensive practical training, you will surely find the closest role to your personality and interests, be it directing, cinematography, editing, sound, or producer skills. During your studies, you will explore various genres and roles in filmmaking and expand your professional network within the international film industry.
Structure of the program
- Throughout the semesters, practical courses build on each other, allowing you to understand different forms of visual storytelling and filmmaking within individual and teamwork.
- **1st Year: Basic Studies of Filmmaking**
- Film History, writing, directing, camera and lighting, editing, and sound courses focusing on photography, documentation, documentaries, and visual storytelling: experimental and short fictions.
- **2nd Year: Storytelling**
- Fiction scenes and feature films with a focus on working with actors. You will have the opportunity to engage in one- or multi-camera shootings in studios, creating short scenes and short fiction films based on your scripts and adaptations developed during dramaturgical courses. This year will enhance your directing, camera, editing, writing, sound design, production management, and producer skills.
- **3rd Year: Preparing for Diploma Works**
- Focus on practical courses: Writing, directing, editing, sound, music, producing tasks, preparation for presentations, and pitches at international platforms.
Through the international professional network of our department, you will find opportunities in various fields, including internships at production companies, Film Industry platforms, Hungarian and International Film Festivals, post-production, and PR companies.
- Film Theory
- History of Motion Pictures
- Basics of Directing, Writing, Dramaturgy Studies
- Motion Picture Technologies (Cameraman - lighting, editing and sound technique, post-production)
- Visual Study Analysis and Practice
- Producer and Production Management Studies
Our Success Stories
- KRADLEN GÖCKEDAG - "ON EDGE," BUDAPEST 150 - ATAFF FILMFESTIVAL HUNGARY 2023
- 73rd CANNES CINÉFONDATION OFFICIAL SELECTION – (AGAPÉ, directed by MÁRK BELEZNAY)
- BEST DIRECTOR, BEST ACTOR – FRISS HÚS BUDAPEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL (AGAPÉ, directed by MÁRK BELEZNAY)
- GRAND PRIX – BUJTOR FILMFESTIVAL (TINNITUS, directed by Áron Haász, Arian Honti)
- GOLDEN LENSES AWARD – LOOKING CHINA (BEYOND, directed by Jenifer Zuggo)
- 1st PRIZE – BERLINALE’S GENERATION KPLUS (AWAY, directed by Roland Ferge)